tivo TCD540040 Drive replacement or addition

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
tivo TCD540040 Drive replacement or addition

Hi all,

I have a Tivo TCD450040 DVR and would like to upgrade the storage capacity. However I would also like to keep all of my existing season passes and shows. Any advice would be awesome. I don't want to spend the money to send it out as I built the RAID 0 server that I am using to type this.

Thanks,
Curt

http://www.newreleasesvideo

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsd...

Pay particular attention to step 7.

So if I am getting this right

So if I am getting this right, according to the InstantCake people, if I add a drive to my DVR I will retain my preferences and recordings. If this is the case what kind of preperation and software is required for this installation? I did find the info here for the bracket http://www.ptvupgrade.com/installatio...

The new drive I purchased is a 160 gig, can I add this to the tivo, or do they have to be like sizes as in a RAID? Do I just run the instant cake software then to get the drive correctly formatted?

Curt

If you use InstantCake, it

If you use InstantCake, it will install a fresh OS onto one (or two) drives, and wipe out anything that was there previously. If you want to back up your data and transfer it to other drives, you will need to follow the instructions in my first reply above.

Thanks Yog-Sothoth,Brainfarts

Thanks Yog-Sothoth,
Brainfarts galore for me, I guess I needed to look at this as trying to add a new hard drive to a computer that already has an OS, because that in essence is what a Tivo is, a Linux based PC with the Tivo GUI. I'm just a little intimidated as my knowledge of Linux is basic at best. So it looks like I would have to purchase a hard drive from ptvupgrade.com for it to be a drop in install. OK Guess I'll do the Hinsdale thing. Wonder if he'd mind if I dropped by, I live about 10 minutes from him. Just Kidding

Curt

Well I got the original drive

Well I got the original drive backed up and an addition 160 gig drive in and working flawlessly for up to 225 wonderous hrs of hours of TV. However the link light on the usb to ethernet adapter is not lighting up and I cannot pulll an IP from my router. Tried differnt ports, checked my wiring on a pc in the next room no luck. I used the PTV universal boot disk. Tried restarting the tivo with and without the adapter, and no luck. Any ideas?

Curt

However the link light on the

However the link light on the usb to ethernet adapter is not lighting up and I cannot pulll an IP from my router.

Which adapter are you using?

SMC - SMC2209USB/ETH -

SMC - SMC2209USB/ETH - Compact USB 2.0 To 10/100Mbps LAN Ethernet Adapter

Your "2209" isn't in the list
actually now that I got down

actually now that I got down and looked at the thing it is the 2208. It worked just fine before the upgrade. So I guess I will give one of the tivo thumbs up ones a try

on a positive note, as far as

on a positive note, as far as the functionality of my tivo usb ports is the thing didn't light up when connected to one of my pc's

the thing didn't light up

the thing didn't light up when connected to one of my pc's

Did you install the Windows driver?

Yes

Yes

Thank you Yog for the help.

Thank you Yog for the help. Got the new adapter and everything is working awesome. Now all I need is the time to watch all of my recordings.

Now all I need is the time to

Now all I need is the time to watch all of my recordings.

That's usually the hardest part. :)