Fisher DVD S2000 picture is scrambled.....

geckoman16's picture

Hi.  Got this S2000, which was working fine for months( a friend gave it to us).  It's our first DVD(and only-thus far), and before I toss it, I just want to be sure it's not anything simple to correct.  Thinking of getting a new one anyway, but sure would love to have this one for the bedroom TV....

The problem:  The picture on the TV screen looks "scrambled", and is in black and white.  I can make out some things, but it's distorted pretty good.  Audio works fine, as do all of the remote's controls(fast forward, etc.).  The TV, a Sony, tested fine when I hooked up a VCR to it...so I believe it's not the TV.

Is there a simple solution to getting this fixed?  My wife was watching a DVD, and she said she had a problem, but said she corrected it and resumed watching the movie.  One note, we did have  a thunder storm just before  this all started happening(we weren't watching the DVD at the time, but noticed the problem a day or two after this)., but I figured it would have really fried this unit if ww were hit, and nothing else had any problems, other than the microwave clock needing to be reset. 

So, any good ideas on fixing this, other than a trip to Best Buy?  Thanks for the input.

PS... I tried Sanyo/Fisher's

PS... I tried Sanyo/Fisher's 1-800 customer service number.  The rep(I got him two different times-figured I try asking another rep...same rep answered again-I even called during their lunch time!!) basically looked at the troubleshooting part of the owner's manual..hey, at least he know's how to read!!!  Big help.  I didn't get the manual from my friend, but I found it on line, and had tried what the manual suggested(unplug unit, plug in, power up, try again) before calling the rep.  So the rep basically told me what I already knew from the manual, which obviously didn't solve my problem.  So, been there, tried that, as the saying goes....